|Posted by [email protected] on March 23, 2012 at 9:30 AM|
Whey protein powders are as close as things get with regards to "required supplements" for anybody trying to build muscles, gain an edge in performance, burn fat, or boost overall wellness and health.
Whey protein does all this for you, it appears, other than actually lifting the weights for you.
So then, how does this work? How much of it is enough? And should you use it?
Yes, is the answer to the 3rd question. The first 2, however, will need a little explanation. So why don't we open the top of everybody's favorite nutritional supplement and look more closely at the miracles of whey.
Whey itself is very common. Actually, you have probably used whey protein from childhood. Don't be concerned, no one spiked your breakfast cereal. Whey protein is actually 1 of the 2 proteins present in cow's milk. Casein comprises about 80 % of milk protein, with whey accounting for the remaining 20 %.
Ever opened a container of yogurt and discovered a clear fluid sitting on the top? You got it, that is whey. Do not go drinking yogurt-juice by the spoon. This whey is not the protein you have heard a lot about. Not yet, anyhow.
To turn whey protein powder, into the good stuff, it first must be extracted out of milk. Ever eaten a piece of cheddar? Cheese makers do the exact same thing as supplement manufacturers: they isolate whey from other milk solids. Actually, a long time before anybody understood the advantages of whey, cheese makers considered it worthless and dumped loads down the drain.
As soon as whey has been isolated and extracted, it is filtered to get rid of carbohydrates and fat. What remains is the protein you like. Then, the more that whey is filtered, the more pure the protein gets. As filtering and content of protein increases, fat and carbs decrease. Although this sounds easy, I would not start pouring run-off from yogurt into the Brita. The processing needed to create whey protein is a little more complex.
The Fantastic Kinds of Whey
There are essentially 3 main kinds of whey protein. Each reflecting a distinctive level of processing and filtering. From the most processed to the least processed, the kinds of whey are: whey concentrate, whey isolate, and hydrolyzed whey (aka whey protein hydrolysate).
Whey concentrate goes through minimum processing. Therefore, it is often less costly than other types of whey, which makes it a great option for those on a tight budget.
Whey concentrate is made with a gentle filtration process called micro- and ultrafiltration. Such processes produce a supplement that's around 70-80 % protein, with the rest made up of fat and carbs.
Whey protein is a fast-assimilated supply of protein to support muscle growth! Excellent anytime of day - particularly post-workout!
Also, these processes preserve the majority of whey's beneficial peptide fractions, these are tiny protein particles that carry out various functions for the body. For instance, whey peptides offer beneficial anti-oxidant advantages and support immune system function.
Whey isolate is more protein-rich than the concentrate. Isolate is created with longer filtration times and additional kinds of processing, like ion-exchange chromatography or cross-flow microfiltration. These extravagant methods essentially make a more protein-rich powder.
Due to the further processing, whey isolate often has concentration of proteins higher than 95 percent. Isolate is therefore a fantastic option for dieters due to its extremely low fat and low carb content. It is also ideal for post and pre-workout because it is absorbed and digested quickly.
Whey isolate is a low carb, low fat, fast-absorbing supply of protein. Excellent post-workout to help build muscles or shed fat!
Whey protein hydrolysate is most processed of all. Therefore, it is often the most costly. It is created by processing whey through something known as hydrolysis, which breaks up long chains of whey protein into smaller peptide fragments.
Hydrolysis essentially pre-digests the whey, making protein easier for bodies to make use of. Since it is pre-digested and broken down, is absorbed and digested more quickly than whey isolate, making it the perfect protein around your workout routines.
HYDROLYZED WHEY PROTEIN
Hydro whey protein is absorbed and digested more quickly than standard whey protein! It's ideal after working out and blends smoothly!
Needless to say, lots of protein companies combine 2 or sometimes all 3 of these whey proteins into 1 produce this means you reap the benefits of each type. When purchasing a brand new protein powder, look at the nutrition label before spending money and going full out.